A birth center is an independent, homelike facility that works within the larger health care system to provide family-centered care for healthy, low-risk women before, during and after normal pregnancy, labor, and birth. At our center, care is provided by certified nurse midwives in collaboration with our physician colleagues at Sutter Santa Rosa Regional Hospital.
- Tubs for laboring & waterbirth;
- Natural, rather than chemical, pain control;
- Intermittent, rather than continuous, fetal monitoring;
- Trusting labor to begin and proceed on your body’s timetable (within normal limits);
- Freedom to move and eat/drink as desired throughout labor; and
- Avoiding routine procedures like episiotomies or routine rupture of the bag of waters to hasten the onset of labor.